After
the wedding Victoria Danford untraditionally threw a luncheon for the couple
with the family and close friends. Even though it was just a luncheon it was a
very formal meal with multiple courses. In very modern fashion Victoria served
French cuisine that had become popular to serve all over Europe and the finest
families in America. The newlyweds stayed through the meal then took off to
train station. Kathryn told Emmy that they would go to New York than take a
cruise line over to Italy and they planned to stay there at least till spring.
Kathryn had never been to Italy and gushed over everything she wanted to see
while they were there. Emmy was happy for Kathryn but was a little jealous as
she had never been anywhere and wished she could be going to Europe. Once the
couple left the party started to break up but Victoria insisted that the
Cromwell girls stay around. She felt guilty that they spent so little time
together after all they were family. Emmy rolled her eyes at the idea of family
obligation.
"I
can stay if you like?" Brandon said seeing Emmy rolling her eyes.
"Oh
no Mrs. James you are too kind."
"
It is no problem I want to be useful to you."
"Thank
you Mrs. James."
Emmy
took a look around the room and did not see Caleb who she really wanted to see.
"Are
you all right?" Brandon asked noticing Emmy looked distracted.
"Yes,
fine I was just wondering where your brother is?"
"He
told me he had to go back to his mother's house to get some work done. Work on
his sister's wedding day can you imagine?"
"He
must be very busy."
Brandon
could tell Emmy was still in love with Caleb just in the tone of her voice.
"Yes
his business keeps him quite occupied. Excuse me, Miss Emmy, I see Mrs. James
waiving at me, she might want to leave."
"Of
course it has been a long day."
Mrs.
James did not really waive him over but he had to walk away. He could not see
why Emmy still loved his brother when he has been nothing but cold to her since
he left Pine Haven. Brandon had done everything he could think of to show Emmy
how much he cared but she only had eyes for Caleb. That Monday Brandon went to
the Ambassador to make plans to go back to England. But for today he left
making his apologies to the hostess and Mrs. James but said nothing to Emmy.
Laurel
did not have a grand time at the luncheon either. Ethan Foster kept his distance,
she tried to talk to him but he kept getting flustered. They used to talk for
hours together now though she could not think of what to say leading to some
awkward silent moments. Then he left the party shortly after Nicholas and
Kathryn left. She wanted to leave then too and hated that there was family
obligation to stay because Aunt Victoria felt guilty.
The
party was hardly a success for our heroines and with that in mind they would
never have expect the following events. However without these events the story
would not exist.
The next
day the Dumonts and Cromwell girls went to church as usual. When they arrived
they saw Ethan Foster outside pacing in a nervous habit. Ethan was proclaimed Methodist
so the fact he was outside of Congregational church was odd. As he greeted the
party he asked if he could sit next to them. Laurel mad no objections but acted
coldly towards him. Aunt Iris made sure Laurel and Ethan sat next to each other
by pulling Emmy to her side Laurel rolled her eyes at this apparent set up. Then
after church Aunt Iris eagerly invited Ethan to lunch and he eagerly accepted
but Laurel showed no emotion. The lunch well, Mr. Dumont and Ethan talked continuously
and when Ethan left Mr. Dumont patted him on the back and told him he was
welcomed back at anytime. Ethan was happy to accept the invitation and Laurel
was just cordial to this idea.
When
Emmy and Laure were alone she questioned her sister's behavior.
"Why
were you so cold to Mr. Foster? It is a good thing Mr. Dumont spoke so much to
him for you barely said two words to him."
"Yes
I did."
"Hello
and goodbye do not count. Do you not care for him?"
"It
is not about that?"
"Then
what is it? Honestly Laurel, I do not understand you?"
"How
could you understand, the world is not one of your fairy tales," Laurel
tone was so harsh it cut at Emmy.
"Is
it about his supposed engagement?"
"What?"
Laurel whipped around to Emmy.
"I
know about Sally Lawrence, but I don't believe it."
"Who?"
"Sally Lawrence. Caleb told me about her before he left."
"Sally Lawrence. Caleb told me about her before he left."
"Why
were you discussing Mr. Foster."
"It
just slipped Laurel."
"What
slipped?"
"I
was telling Caleb that couldn't court anyone till you were engaged and I
accidently mentioned how we thought you were going to get engaged to Mr.
Foster. He then told me that Mr. Foster was engaged to Sally Lawrence. But I
never believed that it was your Mr. Foster he is far too good of a man to be
engaged to one woman and act the way he did to you, I told Caleb it must be
another Mr. Foster."
"You
had no right discussing my life with anyone."
"I
know Laurel, it was accident."
"You
are so foolish Emmy," then Laurel stormed off to her room.
She
acted mad in front of Emmy but when she got her room she could not even make it
to her bed she just crumbled on the floor crying hysterically. She was so ill
she excused herself from dinner. Aunt Iris sent a tray up to her but she didn't
touch it. She just fell into her bed in her dress that she had been wearing all
day and cried till she fell asleep.
"Poor
Laurel, I wonder what could have happened?" Aunt Iris asked.
Emmy
shrugged not looking out of her book. It ate at her the fact that she had let
it slip that Mr. Foster was engaged. The way Laurel reacted it was apparent she
knew nothing about it. Though Laurel didn't know about the engagement the woman
that she first saw with Ethan now haunted her since. Now it all made sense and
it plagued Laurel's heart.
Laurel
stayed in bed the next two days.
"Perhaps
I should write your mother tell what has happened."
"No
aunt you can't do that, if you do mother will insist on us coming home and I
have barely said two words to Caleb James since he came and Julia told me he
plans to go to their dinner party Thursday night if I can get a chance to talk to
him I know things will be alright."
"I
don't see why you care so much about him I do not favor him as much as I would
have thought, he is cold and uncaring, nothing like his brother."
"Aunt
you don't understand. He is not usually like this, when I met him he was so
wonderful."
"Well
I am going to call for a doctor at least and if he says that it is best for you
two to return home then you will. I will not risk Laurel's health for your
idealism."
"Yes
aunt," Emmy lowered her head as her aunt walked out of the front
parlor."
In many
ways Emmy thought herself grown up but she could see in moments when she put
her thoughts above others she still had some growing up to do. Laurel would
never act this way, she knew, Laurel would be packing them up right now and not
worry about some dinner party.
The
doctor came within an hour of Aunt Iris sending for him. As Emmy paced the
floor of the front parlor a note came for her from Brandon.
Dear Miss Emmy,
I write to let you know that I am
off to London, the ambassador has some business for me to attend to on his
behalf. I leave tomorrow for New York and then in two weeks I leave for
Liverpool, I am sorry I will not be able to attend Mr. and Mrs. Danford's
dinner party. If I am not back by the time you leave Boston may your life bring
you desire.
Yours faithfully,
B. James
Emmy
could hardly believe her eyes with Kathryn and now Brandon gone she barely had
any true friends in Boston. She wanted to write him quickly but as soon as she
had finished his letter the doctor and Aunt Iris walked in.
"Is
she alright doctor?" Emmy asked.
"There
is nothing really wrong with her besides lack of food these last few days. She
seems to be running a slight fever but nothing that rest and cold compacts
would not calm down."
"Do
you think she should go back home?" Emmy asked prepared to face whatever
he said she would do it without hesitation.
"No,
no. A trip back home would probably agitate her more."
"Yes
doctor."
"Thank
you Doctor Clark, I will show you out," Aunt Iris said leading him to the
front door. "I am going to have the maids prepare cold towels for Laurel
to make sure they never run out," Aunt Iris said when she came back in the
room, "Please Emmy write to you mother before the evening post goes
out."
"Aunt,
I am sorry for being so self centered. I do want what is best for Laurel."
"I
know Emmy. It is a great bond sisters always looking out for each other."
No comments:
Post a Comment